Friday, August 24, 2012

The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, # 2)



4 of 5 stars false


Ok so I was pretty confused from the start. I didn't know who Mary was. Can you believe that? The truth is I thought this was another Mary and Gabrielle's story of how she got to the village where Mary from The Forest of Hands and Teeth was. I really would've loved to know where the real Gabrielle came from, why she went there and how she changed. But my questions were not answered in this book. Which really disappointed me. But that didn't change anything I still liked the story.

In this second book the heroine is so different from Mary. She is the kind of girl who will not break any rules that forbid her to go to the other side of the fences. She is content with the life she is given in Vista and she knows it's dangerous even though no one has been bitten for years.  Gabry would never trade safety for an adventure outside the wooden barriers of vista but one night her best friend Cira, Cira's older brother Catcher and a few other friends convince her to go. Her life dramatically changes after that night. Gabry makes a promise to catcher's sister that she will go and find Catcher.  So she goes to the other side of the ocean where the forest is to find  Catcher. She meets Elias who saves her from the mudo(unconsecrated)(zombies) that were after her.

I really enjoyed the plot it has a much bigger twist than the first book. Not only does Gabry, Elias, Catcher and Cira have to save themselves from the unconsecrated but also from the Vista militiamen who are after them and will stop at nothing to have them in their hands. There is a romantic triangle in this book as well as the first one which made me feel a little better even though I did prefer catcher but Elias is also pretty fantastic. So I understand why it was so hard for Gabry to decide who she loved. Mary's secret about Gabry was a very ingenious idea. With that said Carrie Ryan really did it for me with The Dead Tossed Waves. I was scared to death, I cried, I laughed, I was screaming my guts out, I had nightmares and was always alert when I went out somewhere for like 2 weeks. Oh I almost forgot, whatever happened to Jed? Mary never says anything about him? And who was the women that she beheaded when she went to clean the ocean shore? I think it was her mother but who knows.

No comments: